Sunday

ZipCar


I have been a member of ZipCar/Flexcar for about 3 years now, although I keep my gas guzzling Land Rover parked in its spot below my condo and use it about once every two weeks. I have been contemplating selling it, being that the big white monster doesn't even have 15k miles on it yet and I have had it since I was a junior in college. Zipcar just seems to offer a more affordable price point for my transportation needs. For approximately $10 an hour I have my insurance, gas, and vehicle paid for- far cheaper than spending $400/mo on insurance, $79 each time I fill up, parking, etc. And it helps save the earth! I was honestly quite surprised when I took a gander at the new ZipCar website and learned that each ZipCar replaces at least 15 other vehicles- reducing road congestion, pollution, and lowers fuel consumption. Sounds like a win-win. One of the other fabulous benefits which I have reaped is that in the dozen other cities (even London!) where ZipCar has made an impact, I can use a vehicle... which is awesome because being under 25 tends to cause a problem when I try renting. Still haven't decided if I am ready to commit fully to a communal car service while giving up my baby, but I will keep you posted!

No comments: