Wednesday

Spanish Wine Dinner at Teatro with D.C. Magazine


I cannot imagine a more perfect evening than one with good friends, food, and wine.


Teatro Goldoni served up the most delectable pairings from duck ham to divine lamb chops to mint sorbet with berries, all complimenting the rich flavors of the six wines Bacchus Importers shared. Words don't provide justice in illustrating how well the food paired with the wines chosen, exceptional cuisine with a Spanish flair coming from a traditionally Italian restaurant. The presentation of the food was just as enviable as the erupting flavors each bite provided.


The educational experience was made far enjoyable by my newly found awareness of the delicious textures, tastes, and aromas we learned to pick up from each different type of Spanish wine. The company I in, from my very best girlfriends old and new, the Ambassadors of Nicaragua and Afghanistan, and of course Michael and Tony- could not be beat.


The six wines that teased our taste buds included:


1. Bodegas Palacios Remondo, Placet, Rioja, 2006

2. Cellar Laurona, Montsant, 2002 (our tables favorite!)

3. Hermanos Sastre Crainza, Ribera del Duero, 2003

4. Bodegas Comenge Crianza, Ribera del Duero, 2004

5. Bodegas Marques de Caceres Gran Reserva, 2000

6. Emilio Lustau, San Emilio, Solera Reserva, Jerez, Non-vintage


Although I grew up on a small, family owned vineyard, I had never had a real discerning taste for wine, especially reds. As I told the sommelier last night, I may be guilty of having complained that many red wines taste like "rubber bands". Not really sure why I have tasted rubber bands, but needless to say on the rubber band scale, these wines were amazing, I enjoyed every last sip... and then some!


Thank you to everyone who made the evening PERFECT!

No comments: